Chicago and small business jobs
Posted on August 29, 2018
Chicago is ranking big for small business jobs.
Chicago ranks third in the nation in the number of fast growing small businesses according to the annual Inc. 5000 list. This year saw 110 Chicago companies named to list, including two in the top 10 and 16 in the top 500. These businesses account for 13,540 jobs in Chicago.
“Small businesses are the backbone of Chicago’s economy, creating economic development in our neighborhoods and opportunities for our residents,” said Mayor Rahm Emanuel. “These rankings reinforce that Chicago is a city where entrepreneurs thrive, and small businesses grow into industry leaders. When they succeed, Chicago succeeds.”
The Inc. 5000 provides a comprehensive look at the fastest-growing private firms in the U.S. The 2018 Inc. 5000 are ranked according to percentage revenue growth when comparing 2014 and 2018.
In that time, Chicago’s listed companies added 6,313 jobs to the local economy and generated over $3.5 billion in 2017 revenue. This year, 16 Chicago businesses ranked in the top 500. They are:
- Home Chef (#3): A meal kit delivery service that provides fresh, pre-portioned ingredients and easy-to-follow recipes to households across the U.S.
- GForce Life Sciences (#8): Specializes in staffing for positions in pharmaceutical development and biotechnology.
- Edge Logistics (#46): A third-party freight broker specializing in full truckload brokerage and offering clients proprietary technology to maximize efficiencies.
- RedShelf (#121): Provides digital learning materials for students in collaboration with publishers, institutions, and campus bookstores.
- Pinnacle Furnished Suites (#159): Provides fully furnished corporate housing nationwide.
- Strike Social (#165): Develops artificial intelligence software that powers social media advertising campaigns for major brands.
- G2 Crowd (#179): A site offering reviews of business software and services.
- SEI-Chicago (#193): A business and technology management consulting firm focused on implementing tailored solutions.
- Meridian Appraisal Management (#220): Provides real estate appraisal management, valuation, and property services.
- First Stop Health (#276): Provides telemedicine services to members via phone, online video, and mobile apps.
- Era Transport (#277): A logistics and trucking company.
- Novatio Solutions (#280): Creates robots that perform routine digital tasks to make workplaces more efficient.
- OppLoans (#340): An online lender that makes small personal loans.
- Home Invest (#352): A full-service real estate investment company that acquires, renovates, occupies, manages, and sells homes throughout the Midwest.
- Reverb.com (#382): Operates an online marketplace for buying, selling, and learning about new, used, and vintage music gear.
- Shiftgig (#487): Connects businesses with hourly workers seeking flexible jobs through a mobile platform.